Home Other Destinations 12 photos to give you serious wanderlust for Cape Town

12 photos to give you serious wanderlust for Cape Town

by Kat

If you keep your eye on Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel list that comes out at the end of every year you might have noticed Cape Town sitting (very) pretty at number 2 on the top cities to visit in 2017 and as it so happened I began the year there myself… where I soon discovered exactly how it had earned the position. Now because a picture says a thousand words I’ll leave the beauty of Cape Town and the surrounds to speak for itself through a selection of photos I took over the course of our trip.

HOUT BAY

Still a working fishing village, Hout Bay is a draw for visitors looking to experience some history and the best in local seafood.  There are a ton of great restaurants and the Bay Harbour market, located in an old fish factory, to explore on a weekend.

12 photos to give you serious wanderlust for Cape Town | Kat is Travelling

CHAPMAN’S PEAK

It’s unusual for a drive to be on any list of top things to do in a destination but the route up to Chapman’s Peak appears on recommendation lists again and again.  Once you’ve done it you’ll see why as the winding coastal road offers some of the most amazing views across to Hout Bay and the surrounding area. A picnic with a view like this is hard to beat.

12 photos to give you serious wanderlust for Cape Town | Kat is Travelling

CAPE TOWN CITY

Attractions in the city include the cathedral, fort, V&A waterfront, a variety of museums and markets and so much more than you could really do in a day.  Hop on the City Sightseeing Tours yellow bus route for a convenient way to cram as much in as possible.

12 photos to give you serious wanderlust for Cape Town | Kat is Travelling

TABLE MOUNTAIN

South Africa’s most famous attraction and now on the list of new 7 Wonders of Nature, Table Mountain is worth braving the people and the queues for (unless you’re brave enough to hike it – then no queues!)

12 photos to give you serious wanderlust for Cape Town | Kat is Travelling
HERMANUS

Now a mention to a couple of spots a little further away from the city… Hermanus is where we were picked up to go cage diving with great white sharks.

12 photos to give you serious wanderlust for Cape Town | Kat is Travelling

CAPE PENINSULA

Also known as the Cape of Good Hope this is the most south-westerly point in Africa (it is sometimes referred to as the most southern tip but it’s not technically true). Stunning views and wild baboons await in this touristy spot… but as we’ve discovered all of the popular spots near Cape Town are worth it.

12 photos to give you serious wanderlust for Cape Town | Kat is Travelling

While we were in Cape Town we also took time out to go on a safari adventure at Aquila Game Reserve, which you can read about here.

Where have you visited where the scenery has blown you away? Have you been to Cape Town and did I miss your favourite hidden gem? Let me know in the comments!

it's easy to see why Lonely Planet named Cape Town as one of its 2017 top cities when the city and surrounding coast are as photogenic as this.

You may also like

21 comments

Matthew Davison 09/02/2017 - 23:49

Cape Town is by far my favourite city in the world that probably why I made this 150+plus things to do guide. For some reason this place always calls me back.

Great post Kat, you really did a great job in getting pictures that really show Cape Town in all her glory.

🙂

Kat 11/02/2017 - 17:13

Thanks Matthew! Great guide too – there really are so many things to do in Cape Town and its such a beautiful city.

Megan | Red Around The World 11/02/2017 - 17:56

I LOVE your photos! I would love to do a Southern Africa trip and visit Cape Town. It looks amazing.

Kat 11/02/2017 - 21:10

Thanks so much Megan. Cape Town is definitely one of the most beautiful cities I’ve ever been to..

travelsewhere 12/02/2017 - 17:01

Everyone I know who has been there speaks incredibly highly of Cape Town and I continue to see why. The view from Table Mt alone is enough to make me want to go. Very eager to reach Sth Africa one of these days. Pinned for future reference! #flyawayfriday

Kat 12/02/2017 - 17:59

I hope that you get to go! The view from Table Mt is well worth it.. even though it wasn’t the clearest day that we went up there the view was still amazing. Thanks for commenting 🙂

Gina Stovall 12/02/2017 - 18:57

Capetown is just stunning!!! Mission accomplished, I have major wanderlust now!

Kat 12/02/2017 - 19:17

Woop – wanderlust inspiration achieved! It’s just amazing view after amazing view… Thanks for commenting!

Serena 15/02/2017 - 03:08

Oh my! I can’t wait to hike Table Mountain!

Kat 16/02/2017 - 00:13

Oh I wish I had hiked it… The sense of achievement will enhance the views even more!

tracystravels10 17/02/2017 - 19:01

Totally agree! And South Africa should be a must-visit destination for everyone!! I grew up there and have a close friend in Cape Town so get the chance to visit fairly often (though not as often as I would like!) Cape Town is a fabulous city – so much to do and see!

melissa 18/02/2017 - 16:03

Cape Town looks so beautiful. I would love to visit one day. I really enjoyed the photos and your write up.

Kat 18/02/2017 - 17:43

Thanks so much Melissa. It’s a very beautiful city, I do hope you get to see for yourself one day!

C-Ludik 18/02/2017 - 17:28

Cape Town is an amazing city. There is so much to do and see ! I really love the Cape of Good Hope which is surrounded by vast spaces, rich fauna, deserted beaches and rugged landscapes 🙂

Kat 18/02/2017 - 17:46

The Cape of Good Hope is one of my favourite spots… worth braving the tourists for! We could easily have spent more time exploring Cape Town, I feel like we only got to scratch the surface really.

Alice Cardillo 18/02/2017 - 18:24

It’s definitely an incredibly photogenic place, your pictures are gorgeous!! I’m againt cage diving, but I’d definitely go kayaking on Hermanus if and when I go to Cape Town! The color of the water looks insane!!

Kat 18/02/2017 - 20:36

I’d love to have gone sea kayaking – sadly didn’t have time – but it looks like so much fun. Thanks for your comment 🙂

Jeanette 22/02/2017 - 14:21

Hi Kat
Great photo of Hermanus Old Harbour with the yellow kayaks. Your pictures are stunning!
I live in Hermanus and finish a blog on “My Family Activity Bucketlist for things to do in Hermanus in the summer “, if you are interested, here is a link
Kind Regards
Jeanette

Kat 22/02/2017 - 20:20

Thanks Jeanette – great post. I wish I had had the time to go sea kayaking!

ttbchloe 23/02/2017 - 06:44

Aww Cape Town looks so amazing!! I’ve seen it all the time on Insta and def want to go so badly!! I’ll def agree that it looks absolutely photogenic! Great post!

Kat 25/02/2017 - 12:16

Thanks Chloe. Cape Town is definitely so photogenic… I have a ridiculous amount of photos!